This is an exciting opportunity for a committed, enthusiastic, and hard working public health professional to develop international experience through working with world-renowned researchers, advocates and policy-makers. This job gives you the opportunity to travel, to be exposed to cutting-edge public health work, and to develop marketable skills. It also provides a stepping-stone to an international career for the right person.The Global Equity Gauge Alliance (GEGA) focuses on fairness in health and access to health care. GEGA’s 12 country-based Equity Gauge projects, located in South America, Africa, and Asia, monitor inequalities and injustices in the distribution of health and health care resources, and aim to ensure that countries and communities can use this information to make a difference to those with the poorest health and the greatest need. More information on GEGA can be found at www.gega.org.za
We are looking for a dynamic and energetic person who can assist the GEGA Coordinator in supporting and promoting the work of the Gauges and the GEGA Secretariat.
* Supporting capacity development initiatives, including development of curricula
* Tracking and documenting the activities of the Equity Gauges
* Responding to information requests
* Preparing and editing reports and documents
* Identifying new partners and networking with other groups
* Planning international meetings
* Updating materials for the webpage and preparing the monthly newsletter
* Appropriate university degree or equivalent with a background in public health or public policy
* Good understanding of health equity issues, health systems issues, and public health
* A high level of professionalism
* Strong writing and communication skills as well as organisational skills
* Research skills, including strong internet research skills
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
* A commitment to health equity, community empowerment, and improvement of health systems
A salary package commensurate with experience and qualifications and in line with HST’s Job grading.This is a one-year contract position, and will be extended depending on the incumbent’s performance and GEGA’s need for the position. The post will be based in Durban, and the incumbent should be prepared to travel internationally.
A letter of motivation together with a detailed CV with names and contact details of at least two references should be sent to Dawn McDonald, Durban Head Office, PO Box 808, Durban- 4000. Fax: 031-3040775 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 12 March 2003.
THE HEALTH SYSTEMS TRUST SUPPORTS EMPLOYMENT EQUITY