Key Issues in the Management of Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis
1. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) is defined as tuberculosis (TB) disease where there is in vitro resistance to both isoniazid and rifampicin, with or without resistance to other anti-TB drugs. As isoniazid and rifampicin are the two most important first-line TB drugs, their removal through resistance from the anti-TB drug armamentarium has serious implications.
The government is achieving its targets in the fight against HIV/Aids, Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi said on Tuesday.
South Africa started the early decades of HIV and Aids "on a wrong footing", he told the National Assembly during debate on his budget vote.
"But recently, in a typical South African style, we have bounced back.
"We have shown that collaboration and solidarity against a shared threat and a common goal is desirable and can produce desired results," Motsoaledi said.
Through combined efforts and collaborative undertaking, a campaign had been launched to counsel and test 15 million South Africans for HIV.
Ministers present here today
My Colleague Deputy Minister of Health, Dr Gwen Ramokgopa
MEC’s of Health from various Provinces
Honourable Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee, Dr Monwabisi
Goqwana and Members of your Committee
Honourable members of the House
Director –General of Health Ms Precious Matsoso
Your excellencies, High Commissioners and Ambassodors
Leaders of various statutory bodies, Health Unions and other Health related Organisations
Our Special guest the Rollback Malaria and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and UN Envoy for Africa, Ms Yvonne Chaka Chaka
Ladies and Gentlemen
IN 2000, the leaders of 189 nations signed the Millennium Declaration of the United Nations (UN), pledging to free their people from poverty, illiteracy and ill health. This commitment gave rise to the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), the target date for the achievement of which is 2015.
The eight goals are to: eradicate extreme poverty and hunger; achieve universal primary education; promote gender equality and empower women; reduce child mortality; improve maternal health; combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases; ensure environmental sustainability; and develop a global partnership for development.
Hospital upgrades, HIV/Aids and TB treatment and the improvement of specialist services at tertiary hospitals are to get the biggest slice of this year’s Western Cape provincial health budget, says Health MEC Theuns Botha.
Tabling his R14.632 billion budget this week – the biggest slice of the overall provincial budget – Botha said about 87 percent, or R12.7bn, of the budget would be allocated to district health services.
The South African National Aids Council (Sanac) met last week ahead of the start date of April 1 for the new National Strategic Plan on HIV-Aids, TB and STIs, to review the implementation of the plan.
At the meeting it was decided that it was critical to prioritise HIV prevention among young girls and young women over the next five years, particularly in the first year.
The Gauteng Health Department says decentralising TB treatment will help address the number of treatment defaulters the province currently has.
About 56 000 people were tested positive for TB last year in Gauteng and 45 percent of them successfully completed their six month treatment programme. The remaining 55 percent is unaccounted for. The province also has a high defaulter rate of patients who have Multi-Drug Resistant (MDR) TB.
The government plans to bring down new HIV infection rates to zero in the next 20 years, Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe said on Saturday.
Motlanthe was addressing workers and dignitaries at the Goldfields mine in Carletonville, Gauteng on the occasion of world tuberculosis (TB) day.
He said the National Strategic Plan for HIV, TB and sexually transmitted infections (STI) would aim at eliminating new HIV and TB infections, mother to child HIV infections, and have zero preventable deaths as well as discrimination associated with the two viruses.
Regulators are increasingly scrutinizing HIV and TB responses in South Africa’s mining sector, which could lead to the industry being hit where it hurts - the bottom line.
The fight against new, antibiotic-resistant strains of tuberculosis has already been lost in some parts of the world, according to a senior World Health Organisation expert. Figures show a 5% rise in the number of new cases of the highly infectious disease in the UK.
Dr Paul Nunn, head of the WHO's global TB response team, is leading the efforts against multi-drug resistant TB (MDR-TB). Nunn said that, while TB is preventable and curable, a combination of bad management and misdiagnosis was leaving pharmaceutical companies struggling to keep up. Meanwhile, the disease kills millions every year.