Female condoms have sensualised sexual health thanks to the increased tactility of new materials.
Female condoms may have been criticised for being noisy, intimidating and expensive, but their prominence and popularity in South Africa are steadily increasing.
"Women often say using it can increase pleasure because the outer ring gives sensation to the clitoris and internally the ring or sponge can give extra sensation for the man and woman," said Mags Beksinska, a senior researcher at the University of the Witwatersrand-affiliated health organisation Maternal, Adolescent and Child Health.
ON FRIDAY, the department of basic education held a seminar on teenage fertility, hot on the heels of the news that a teenage girl had given birth in a toilet at a school in Eersterus, near Pretoria.
- From HIV prevention to reproductive health choices: HIV/AIDS treatment guidelines for women of reproductive age. M Stevens, HST. African Journal of AIDS Research 2008, 7(3): 353–359
- Sacrificing the woman for the child. M Stevens, HST. RJR 28 September 2008
- Towards treatment guidelines for women of reproductive age: recognising the right to choose. Marion Stevens, HST.
- Gender Based Violence and HIV - Anneke Meerkotter, Roundtable 2nd Wits HIV/AIDS in the workplace research symposium
- Mental health matters: HIV/AIDS and women in the South African public health sector - Dr René Brandt, Aids and Society Research Unit, UCT, Roundtable, 4th Public Health Association of South Africa Conference, Cape Town, 2 June 2008
- HIV Testing Practices: Rights and Realities - Johanna Kehler, AIDS Legal Network (ALN)
This report is part of a bigger international effort through which NGOs from sixteen countries have collected strategic data on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights based on the goals in the 2001 UNGASS Declaration. The process was initiated by GESTOS Soropositividade, Comunicao e Gnero, an NGO in Brazil, and was funded by the Ford Foundation. The purpose of the study was to identify gaps and progresses in the implementation of activities addressing sexual and reproductive health and rights of women and girls in the fight against HIV and AIDS.