Reports that an outbreak of cholera in the Eastern Cape has resulted in 1 000 people being admitted to hospitals and clinics in the province over the past week are not correct, the department of health said on Sunday.
Provincial health spokesman Sizwe Kupelo told Sapa that 192 people, mainly from the O R Tambo and Chris Hani districts, had been treated for cholera over the past seven days.
Four people had died from the waterborne disease.
Since December 23 last year, a total of 13 people in the province have died as a result of cholera, and a total of 812 have been treated for the disease.
He said the outbreak appears to be contained. All those treated over the past week had been sent home.
The situation is under control.
Kupelo said members of a joint health and water departments' task team remained on stand-by in the region to cope with any possible resurgence of the disease.
A house-to-house campaign by team members over the past few days was responsible for the rise in the number of people treated.
We treated every complaint of diarrhoea as a cholera case, he said.
According to news reports on Sunday, a total of 1 000 villagers from the O R Tambo and Chris Hani districts have been admitted to local clinics with cholera in the last week.
A local health manager, Nomonde Mbana, said the Tsomo and Cofimvaba clinics had been notified by All Saint's Hospital last Friday that there was a massive cholera outbreak, the reports said.
Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang last week said the outbreak of cholera in the Eastern Cape appeared to be under control, and different government departments were working together to minimise the threat. (Source: SAPA, 23 February 2003 )