The People's Health Movement (PHM)
Cape Town - 1 Year Contract
PHM has a number of programs and activities to promote the strengthening of the movement generate knowledge and provide alternative analyses of the global health situation assist the capacity building of health activists across the world and assist the development of a campaign agenda towards health for all. Among these are the Right to Health and Health Care Campaign (RTHHC) the Global Health Watch (GHW) as an alternative world health report the International People's Health University (IPHU) and a Peoples Health Assembly held every 5 years.
PHM currently has a presence in more than 70 countries. The global secretariat recently moved to Cape Town, South Africa, where it will be based for the next two years. One of the key strategies will be to strengthen the presence and activities of PHM in Africa.
This is a part time (50% FTE) position, directly accountable to the PHM Global Co-ordinator.
Responsibilities will include:
- Establishing and maintaining a database of relevant civil society groups working in health in the region
- Networking and movement building with PHM circles in the region and assisting in the development of national PHM circles including strategy development and planning
- Representing the PHM in meetings central to the development of PHM in the region
- Organising regional PHM meetings
- Assisting in establishing and organizing short training courses (under the aegis of the International Peoples Health University) to increase the capacity of health activists and PHM circles in the region
- Coordinating activities & communications between civil society activists and PHM in the region
- Writing regional newsletters, regional reports and fundraising
- Assisting in organising the Third Peoples Health Assembly
Knowledge, skills & experience required:
- Broad understanding of the health situation in Africa and a strong grasp of the social movement approach to health development
- Networking and communication skills and experience
- Excellent organizing skills
- A relevant qualification would be an advantage
- Experience in coordinating and managing cross-country and cross cultural activities
- Knowledge and experience of working with civil society
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Experience in fundraising would be an advantage
- Experience with PHM would be a strong recommendation, as would knowledge of health related and regional civil society.
This position would suit a young activist interested in health in the broadest sense and wanting to grow in a position. We are unable to pay relocation costs.
Applications must be accompanied by a CV and 3 reference letters, and be sent to email email@example.com. fax 0866707216 before Friday 7th August