Vacancy Notice No.: HQ/03/HTP/TA54
Title: Technical Officer Date: 17 February 2003
Deadline for applications: 17 March 2003
Contract type: Temporary appointment
Duration: Eleven months
Duty Station: GENEVA Switzerland
Health Technology and Pharmaceuticals (HTP)
Essential Drugs and Medicines Policy (EDM )
Traditional Medicine (TRM)
Description of duties
Under the supervision of Coordinator, TRM, the incumbent will undertake the
- Collate relevant technical information on the subject of concern by
searching scientific database and literal reference materials.
- Analyze and summarize relevant scientific and technical information.
- Review and evaluate the research proposals, particularly for clinical
research on traditional medicine for malaria, AIDS and some common diseases
- Draft related technical documents, reports and proposal for resource
mobilization in the field of traditional medicine in general and in
particular herbal medicines clinical research.
- Provide technical guidance to target research institutions in designing
research protocols and in implementing research proposals funded by TRM.
- Prepare consultations, workshops and symposia in the field of traditional
medicine, according to the team's workplans.
- Represent and make presentations on behalf of WHO in workshops
- Facilitiate exchange and dissemination of information on traditional
medicine by keeping close contacts with WHO Collaborating Centres for
Traditional Medicine, members of the WHO Expert Advisory Panel on
Traditional Medicine, and other relevant research institutes and NGOs.
- Ph.D. degree in medicine, pharmaceutical science, or pharmacology.
- Postgraduate degree in traditional (natural) medical practice or public
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to draft reports in a precise and concise manner.
- Computer literacy and basic knowledge in the maintenance of databases.
- Ability to conduct scientific reference search and summarize scientific
- Ability to understand clinical research project and basic biomedical and
pharmacological research data on herbal medicines.
- Ability to adapt to diverse education and cultural backgrounds.
At least 3 years' experience in basic or clinical medical research.
Extensive knowledge on medicinal plants and/or herbal medicines and/or
traditional medicine (pharmacognosy, pharmacology and pharmacodynamics) and/or
other traditional medicine therapies. Research or working experience in a
national government agency or in an international organization would be an
asset. Basic and clinical knowledge on communicable diseases and
non-communicable diseases, including diagnosis, management and treatment, would
be an asset.
Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English or French with a good
working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of Spanish an asset.
Send your CV and covering letter to Dr Xiaorui Zhang by email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications from women and from nationals of non- and
under-represented member states are particularly encouraged.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations,
Staff Rules and Manual.