Medical Research Council
World Health Organization
Health Systems Trust
2011-2012 Education Sector HIV and AIDS: Global Progress Survey- Progression, Regression or Stagnation?UNAIDS
The Global Forum on MSM & HIV (MSMGF)
Presentations from the National Health Insurance (NHI) Conference 2011
THE NATIONAL DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH HOSTS A CONFERENCE THEMED “NATIONAL HEALTH INSURANCE: LESSONS FOR SOUTH AFRICA”
The Minister of Health, Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi, MP published the Green Paper on National Health Insurance (NHI) on 12 August 2011 as part of the Department of Health’s processes of initiating the public consultation on the policy proposals for the implementation of NHI in South Africa. To further the depth of the public consultation process as well as to elicit inputs from as wide an audience as possible, the department has invited imminent international experts on health financing and health systems to a conference to share relevant experiences on key aspects related to NHI in developed, low and middle income countries. The conference was held from 7 to 8 December 2011, at Gallagher Estate in Midrand.
- To promote a sharing of experiences in key areas of health financing such as revenue mobilisation, governance arrangements, ethics, human rights and health services provision;
- To learn from international experiences of countries that have implemented policies to promote universal coverage in health; and
- To determine key lessons from other contexts that could be used to inform the practical approaches to the implementation of NHI in South Africa.
The main topics of the Conference focused on addressing matters relating to:
- Equity, Human Rights and Justice perspectives on Universal Coverage in Health
- Financing Options – A perspective for Low and Middle Income Countries
- Revenue Mobilisation Options
- Health Service Provisions – International experiences on approaches to health services provision; and
- Governance and Institutional Arrangements to support Universal Coverage in Health.
Key international speakers at the Conference include Dr Ruediger Krech and Dr. Joseph Kutzin from the World Health Organisation, Dr. Viroj Tangcharoensathien from Thailand and Professor Gavin Mooney from Australia, among others.
A key outcome of the Conference is to identify lessons from various contexts that South Africa can use to inform its practical steps to the phased implementation of NHI.
Below please find conference presentations from Day 1 and Day 2 of the conference.
- National Health Insurance Conference Joahnnesburg, South Africa by Dr Rüdiger Krech
- Lessons for South Africa from Korea by Ankit Kumar
- A Global Perspective on Health Financing for Universal Coverage by Joseph Kutzin
- UC in Thailand: lessons from a decade by Viroj Tangcharoensathien MD PhD
- Financing, Service Provision, Institutional Arrangements and Governance Options in Developing Countries - Lessons from Turkey by Dr. Mehtap Tatar
- Ghana’s National Health Insurance- a long journey from design to implementation by Kwesi E Eghan
- Financing, Service Provision, Institutional Arrangements and Governance Options in Developing Countries by Mark Blecher
- Social Health Protection in Germany – Experiences and Lessons by Dr Matthias Rompel
- Australia and NHI:Lessons - but no wizardry - from Oz by Gavin Mooney
- National Health Insurance in France by Michel Brami
- Lessons from the USA: A Broken System That We Hope to Repair by Tim Westmoreland
Health Care Expenditures Across Countries
- Governance and Universal Health Coverage by Lucy Gilson
- Health Equity, Social Solidarity and Financial Risk Protection by Gavin Mooney
- Regional Experiences of Universal Health Coverage: Lessons from EU Countries by Christoph Schwierz
- Governance of Health Insurance Systems by Patrick Osewe
- How Much CanSouth Africa Spend on NHI? A Fiscal Health Analysis by Jack Langenbrunner
- Innovative Financing: International experience by Dr Bob Fryatt, DFID
- Conference on NHI – Lessons for South Africa by Elroy Paulus
- Innovative Financing for NHI – A Civil Society Perspectiveby Mark Heywood
- Innovative EU Support to Health Financing Reforms by Dr. Christopher Knauth, MCommH
- Universal Coverage – Ethics by Professor A. Dhai
- Lessons for service provision under universal coverage by Jane Doherty
- National Health Insurance: Financing options Lessons for South Africa by Andrew Donaldson
- Options for South Africa: Financing by Di McIntyre
- Service Provision: Options for South Africa by Charles Hongoro
- Governance issues for SA by Lucy Gilson
- EU Support to Health Financing Reforms in Developing Countries by Dr. Christopher Knauth, MCommH